Written by Joy Chudacoff | 0 Comments | Grab This Article
Recently, I had the opportunity to spend a few days in wonderful Washington, DC with the members of my 2013 Leadership Women community, which is a non-profit organization that develops programs and projects to advance and improve the personal, economic and professional status of women in the United States.
It was a busy two days packed with rich content and learning. I met some of the most powerful women in Washington who are leading the charge on policy and change. These women shared many gold nuggets that were actually comforting and reassuring. What I mean by that last statement is their perspectives were easy to grasp and I could see clearly how to implement some of the leadership lessons into my life. Sometimes when we read about women in power, it can seem surreal or unattainable.
Make no mistake, these women paid their dues to get where they are today and I certainly don’t want to paint a picture that it was easy. The leadership lessons discussed were common themes and today, I’m going to share five rich and relevant nuggets.
1. Connection & Relationships – One of the best investments you can make with your time is to connect with people who champion you and have a desire to see you succeed. It’s important to build relationships with people who can support your growth along the way and help you accomplish your goals. The good news is women have connection and relationship building in their DNA!
2. Go Big or Go Home – Think Big! Have a vision for what you want and make a plan for it to happen. Avoid getting caught up in the small stuff. If you think big and create an action plan that covers all the bases, the small stuff will take care of itself. Create a support system that becomes your safety net at the first sign of turbulence. If you are living a full throttle life, there’s going to be turbulence along the way. Course correct and keep moving forward.
3. Say Yes to the word No – Adopt a policy of saying No more often. This can be tricky for women because we are nurturers by nature, however if you truly want to accomplish your goals and live your dreams, you will need to stop saying yes to everyone and say no more often to reserve your time and energy for your big ideas, dreams and goals.
4. Make Friends with Money – In order for you to build a sustainable business and create a comfortable lifestyle for you and your family, it’s essential that you become comfortable with numbers. This is something many women are challenged by and I will admit early on in my business, I was so focused on the marketing that I too, at times, took my focus away from the bottom line. Having said that, when I began monitoring my profit and expense sheet closely, my income began to soar. If this is an area where you need support, it’s worth the investment to get educated and comfortable with the financial side of your business.
5. Become a Life-Long Learner – Stay hungry for knowledge. The world is moving at warp-speed so it’s essential that you stay connected to learning environments to remain relevant in business.
Leadership isn’t something that happens overnight. It is a decision that will require dedication and discipline. How will you know if your desire for leadership is becoming a reality? Look behind you. You are a leader if people are following you.
Anything is possible. Everything is waiting for you.
© 2013 Joy Chudacoff
WANT TO USE THIS ARTICLE IN YOUR E-ZINE OR WEB SITE? You can, as long as you include this complete blurb with it: Joy Chudacoff, ICF, PCC, is the founder of Smart Women Smart Solutions®, a Professional Certified Coach to 1000’s of women, Motivational Speaker, and Entrepreneur. She publishes a weekly buzz generating ezine, Reflections On Life and Business for Women Entrepreneurs. If you’re ready take your coaching business to the next level, get your FREE Tips, FREE Report, FREE MP3 and be the first to hear about my exciting new program for coaches and consultants at Smart Women Smart Solutions Coaching.
Last 5 posts by Joy Chudacoff
- Smart Women Never Find Themselves in a Vacuum – April 10th, 2013
- Smart Women Know The Fortune is in The Follow-up – March 25th, 2013
- Lessons for Smart Women from the Los Angeles Lakers – March 11th, 2013
- This is How She Gets the Sale – February 27th, 2013
- 9 Game Changing Tips for Women Entrepreneurs in 2013 – January 14th, 2013
This is a Free Reprint Article
You are welcome to publish this article on your website, blog, ezine (free of cost) as long as the author’s resource information remains intact and all links remain live and clickable. This article may be published offline in print, provided the author’s name and full link to the author’s website are both included. Copyright is reserved by author. Read our full Terms of Service.
More from Joy Chudacoff
- Lessons in Leadership From Women in Washington
- Smart Women Never Find Themselves in a Vacuum
- Smart Women Know The Fortune is in The Follow-up
- Lessons for Smart Women from the Los Angeles Lakers
- This is How She Gets the Sale
More from Business – Career
Provided by LadyPens.com
- May 6-10 Encouraging Female Entrepreneurs, Contests, And More (startupweekend.org)
- Top U.S. Cities for Women Entrepreneurs (Infographic) (entrepreneur.com)